Heat Da Spot is my favorite local breakfast spot. A five minute walk from my house, this tiny restaurant is known for its homey atmosphere and slow service. While they have a typical cafe menu, their “Ethiopian-style breakfast” is particularly inspiring. Spicy scrambled eggs, sauteed vegetables, scooped up with bread. Not exactly vegan, but if you’re looking for a change to your breakfast routine and an excuse to eat with your hands, this is the meal for you.… Read the rest
It’s been awhile since my last post. This is in part because I haven’t felt inspired by vegan food, which I’m eating about 85% of the time (the other 15% is human flesh.) But I’ve also been very busy writing, job hunting, and vacillating between enjoying and worrying about life. And yesterday I watched the entire first season of Younger, starring Hilary Duff.… Read the rest
I made it vegetarian and now I’m taking one step further: vegan spaghetti carbonara. Can plants replace the magic that is egg and Parmesan cheese? Definitely not, but this comes close. It provides the same too-full feeling that most creamy pasta dishes do, leaving you feeling as if you swallowed a brick.… Read the rest
I’m back on my bullshit.
By that I mean I’m trying to eat vegan, again. This is probably my third serious attempt at a non-dairy lifestyle and I feel realistically meh about it. There is a reason most people don’t go give up all animal by-products, and that’s because it’s really hard.… Read the rest
It took me many years to come around to oatmeal cookies. I just never got them. Why would you have raisins and oats when you could have chocolate chips and white flour? About two weeks ago I started to mature as a person and realized the error in my ways. Both types of cookies are valuable and deserve respect.… Read the rest
HelloFresh is one of the many meal-delivery subscription services across the great internet. I can’t tell you what sets it apart from the other services, but I can tell you my friend Katie really wanted me to use her promo code.
Normally, three two-serving meals cost around $60. The code takes $40 off, so this HelloFresh box cost me $20.… Read the rest
When I think of ramen, I think of eating one million noodles and then going home to digest in front of the television. What I don’t think of is button-down yuppies drinking beer at 8:30 PM while consuming boiling-hot soup in 90 degree weather. Yet, that is what happens in DC.… Read the rest
I found a can of coconut milk in my cabinet about a year ago. Not the coconut milk that cool young people sip on their way to SoulCycle, but the thick, creamy stuff that vegans bathe in. I wasn’t sure what to do with it for months and months and then it hit me: chickpea and sweet potato curry. … Read the rest
I recently began the Pasta Lifestyle. Exactly what it suggests, if you live the #pastalifestyle you eat a lot of pasta. Linguine, rigatoni, ditalini and everything in between. This is a subset of hedonism, since humans would eat pasta at every meal if they made decisions based purely on pleasure. What is holding you back?… Read the rest
I’ve had a bag of red lentils in my cabinet since I’ve moved in to my new house. I may have even scavenged them from my last place, meaning they could be years old. Do lentils expire? I’m not sure, but I’m committed to using them. There were also a few rogue sweet potatoes in my kitchen.… Read the rest